Posted By Elaine ~ 18th February 2011
Here is my latest column for the St Croix Courier…enjoy!
Admin Day- Dealing with the Dirty Dozen
In to each life a little rain must fall…and in the case of an Entrepreneur that would be the dreaded administration work. When you got into business you had a dream….a dream that included energy filled days where the business rolled along nicely and you were having fun doing what you love to do.
Then reality struck; when you sat in your office there was the carnage of unfinished paperwork, unanswered calls and a long list of things of to-dos. This was not what you got into business for. However, this is a part of the business that cannot be ignored because if you do, you will have angry customers or worse the CRA knocking on your door.
Here is a recap of the most common Administrative tasks and how to handle them efficiently.
The Admin Day- Dirty Dozen
- Check all of your phones, copy down the number and message and return them…all of them. To save time on this task get the voicemail to e-mail service that most carries provide.
- Make all phone calls that you have been putting off. Perhaps it is a call to the phone company regarding a question on your last bill.
- Attack your paper with the FAT principal. File it, Act in it or Toss it. Keep a recycling and garbage bin near your desk so this becomes an ongoing habit
- Review all outstanding bills and pay them. To make this easier keep them all in one file.
- Collect all outstanding receivables, this is your cash flow. If you have a hard time with this hire or delegate this to someone who doesn’t.
- Deal with all those magazines and articles on your desk that are waiting to be read. Have a file specifically for these and give yourself a deadline to do the reading, if it doesn’t happen in the time frame then let them go.
- Website updates are a critical part of your online presence. It is not enough to have a website, you have to have fresh content for the Google spiders. No new relevant content…no indexing.
- Follow up on all outstanding proposals. This shows that you are interested and yes…ORGANIZED.
- Filling out forms can be a long tedious painful experience. Do these activities first on Admin Day and reward yourself with a fresh coffee or some other reward when you are finished.
- Review the schedule for the coming week and pull files for the clients so you are ready to Rock and Roll come Monday morning.
- If you are in business then you need to SELL…yes that four letter word. Make a list of prospects that you want to contact in the next week. By taking the time to do this one single activity you are committing to growing your business.
- And last but not least…do ONE thing that will help you to grow your business.
There is hope and it comes in two parts.
You need to carve out a time to work on your business, yes that means turning off the phone and committing to the time. Initially it may take up to a full day to handle the administrative backlog, however as time goes on you will see a reduction in the amount of work week over week.
The second part requires you to grab a pile on the desk and yes….get-er-done, have fun and Happy Admin Day!
To see more videos to inspire you in the office visit my youtube channel here.